Friday, November 12, 2010

Oh Colossians, How I Love Thee...

Colossians 1:22 reads, "But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation" and my response is "Whoa."

Why? Because I felt the nudge of the Holy Spirit to get back into the Word as I've struggled with being consistent since about a month after I returned from IHOP. Yeah, so the moment I get back in, my lame desire was to find a short book to read and the Book of Colossians came to mind, which as it turns out, is only four chapters. The interesting thing is that verse 22 is exactly what I have prayed (for a long time now) over just about every person I pray with...wow. I usually pray, "God, You say he/she is holy, pure, and blameless. There will never be a day that You find blame in him/her. You will never point an accusatory finger." Does God know me or what? I was blown away.

It just presents even more evidence to me that the Holy Spirit is alive and well as I already know, but when I get down on life, the Lord reveals Himself in even greater ways than what I ask or imagine...funny, huh?

Yeah, so needless to say, I read the whole Book three times. I'm still a bit taken aback at how DAD knows His daughter. I had no idea that was actually in the Bible...call me crazy, but I didn't. I just thought it was something cool and true that the Holy Spirit gave me to pray over people. Of course! Because it's IN the Bible. How awesome is He! I'm still in awe...

Now, something I wasn't so "in awe of" was written in Colossians 3:8, which reads, "But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips." I'm currently living w/ my mom and well, this verse really brought a heap of conviction on my heart and spirit. It wasn't guilt b/c I didn't feel shame/blame. It wasn't an accusatory finger, but it was a definite rebuke of the Holy Spirit saying pretty clearly, "I want to cleanse you of this and I'm not talking about a partial cleansing either." Ouch...yeah, so I'm on this journey of being cleansed. And what this means is that my entire past upbringing of the first 18 years of my life that were filled with negative examples of anger, rage, malice, bitterness, and unforgiveness are now in the process of being cleansed. So...the Holy Spirit has begun what I would describe as a very. long. process. The one good thing about this though is that I'm not married w/ a family of my own, so I'm incredibly grateful that it's happening now. I'm just not looking forward to this process. Being that it's already begun, I've already felt the sting of having given into allowing my anger to control my tongue 3times in the past month and a half. "Dear Lord, fix it PLEASE." It reminds me of that song I used to sing in church as a kid. The lyrics are...

Change my heart oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart oh God,
May I be like You.

Change my heart oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart oh God,
May I be like You.

You are the potter,
I am the clay.
Mold me and make me,
This is what I pray.

Change my heart oh God,
Make it ever true.
Change my heart oh God,
May I be like You.

It's funny how God brings songs from long ago to mind at various times in our lives...yeah, He really knows what He's doing. So...here we go, continuing this journey toward deep adoration...

No comments:

Post a Comment